Friday, November 18, 2005

5# The Belief

Jonathan brought James back to his shop. When James stepped into his tattoo shop, everything that he saw was new for him. He had never entered to a tattoo shop before and to see those arts.

James met Jonathan’s tattoo students there. Melissa, Emily, and Sara, who looked were just about 20. He was then asked to introduce himself again to the girls. That was the second time he introduce himself to the others. And he felt quite strange about it.

Jonathan walked to the fridge, and offered him beers. James was just 16 and was not legal to drink. Somehow he had tried to drink when he was in the primary school without his father’s notice.

He began to drunk.

“Alright people, I shall start to introduce myself…” He stood up, with his red drunken face, trying to get his balance to stand.

“My parents met at their working place…”

“What? Begin from your parents?” Jonathan and the girls laughed.

“Very good, boy! Go ahead, go ahead!” Jonathan laughed with his beer on his right.

“I started to learn piano when I was young. But I was forced… I was forced by my dad to learn…”

What did James said caught the girls’ attention.

“Just because my dad failed to be a pianist, therefore I need to fulfil his dream…”

He stopped, continued to drink more beer from the can…

“My dad… When mum was alive, he was a very good man. Because he could rely on my mum… But since my mum passed away, I realised that he is just nothing but a useless guy… He can’t do anything when he’s alone…”

“Jon… is this okay…?” Melissa asked.

“Just let him to continue. In fact he will not like to comment his dad in such a way. For a son or daughter, no matter how useless their parents are, they are still their parents anyway… Since he wants to talk about it, so just let to him say it out…”

Replied by Jonathan, without let going his beer on his hand. Seemed that he understood James’s problem.
“Actually I wanted to cry… Dad wants me to bear his dream and all the burdens…” James continued.

He told them about his pass sport achievements. He was very proud of his speed in the 100m races.

“I think that I could run faster if I practiced more. I was making new records everyday! When I was 14, my record was 11 seconds and 21!”

The girls cheered, they were drunk too. The beer cans were scattered all over the table and the floor. All of them drank a lot. But James seemed to be the one who was totally drunk.

He lean against the wall, slipped down. He sat on the floor…

“During the final I did the best among all my races, but I stopped in front of the end line…”

The girls understood what had happened to him at that time. Obviously it was because of his leg problem.

James stood up, “I want to strip my trousers…”

The girls cheered in joy. They were like interested to see a boy stripped off his pants.

“Stopped from piano, and joined for the race society… Finally the one who forgiven and encouraged me was my dad… But now… When my leg become like this…”

James took off his trousers and showed his right leg with prosthetic.

“He doesn’t even look at me once…”

Tears started to split from his window. He really disappointed to his father, who had never care about him after that incident.

The girls could not laugh anymore. They stood up and walked to James. Emily hugged him and three of them began to cry. Deep inside they were touched and sympathised to James’s catastrophe.

“I guess that dad doesn’t want the others to see me. So he hopes that it’s better for me not to walk at the outside world… Because I’m such a heavy burden… for him…”

“Boy…” Jonathan put down his can onto the table.

“How a father wants to treat his son, the decision is still on his hands. How your father want to be, he is the only one who can decide…”

The girls and James looked at Jonathan.

“You don’t have to be afraid boy… What can you do now for your father now… Either is to believe him, or not to believe him… Understand?”

The words from Jonathan stopped James’s tears from flowing.

“Want some more beer boy?”


Few moments later, James fell asleep. He was just too drunk.

The phone rang, Sara picked up the call. It was the call from the US, inviting Jonathan to be a tattoo master over there. Jonathan was a very skilful tattoo artist thus his talent is not limited in his country only.

Melissa looked at James, who slept on the table.

“God seemed to be so cruel, to take away a racer’s leg…”

“Hey Melissa, since when you believed in God? Haha…” Emily laughed at her.

“But it was really a big impact, to stop in front of the line during the final race. If he could run faster than his record, that’s a good thing isn’t? To be the fastest in our country…” Sara said.

“Somehow, if he did… This may cause him to lost the ability to catch up with his next dream. The next target…”

“We can’t ask things to be perfect. Flaw is the thing that pushes us forward… If everything seems to be perfect, what’s the point of life then?”

“Very good, girls…” Jonathan appeared and agreed with things that they said.

James woke up finally. But he was still drunk and could not stand up properly.

“Going back now boy? Let me give you a gift.”

Jonathan took out a sport wheelchair. James was so surprised to see that.

“This is Jon-1. Although I used it harshly and caused it to be a little bit loosen, but it’s function is still good!”

Jonathan lift up his trousers at his right, revealed his right leg, which operated with rotation, as same as James’s one.

“Since we are buddies who are having the same kind of leg, therefore I’m giving you this gift.”

James was touched. It was the first time he found someone who understands him.

“You are not alone…”

He began to cry again, so did the girls. He guessed that he would not cry again after that.

“I’m not alone anymore…”

To be continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home